Turning Point Scotland and Aberlour are using their experience of supporting women with an involvement in the criminal justice system and their children in a partnership approach to provide holistic, person-centred alternatives to remand.
We work in partnership and compliment other services in preventing women receiving a custodial sentence.
- Reduce the inappropriate use of remand
- Giving sentencers more confidence in supported bail as an option for women
- Reduce levels of breach of bail conditions, diversion, structured deferred sentence
- Maintaining and supporting family relations between mothers in the criminal justice system and their children
- Reduce individual levels of re-offending
The Glasgow Women’s Supported Bail Service offers support on a 1:1 basis and on an assertive outreach basis:
- An opportunity to address issues around housing and homelessness, substance misuse, mental and physical health and offending behaviour.
- Support to attend appointments in the community and comply with any conditions attached to bail or an order.
- Addressing relevant issues such as cycle of change, victim empathy, drug and alcohol issues
- Programmes focusing on children affected by parental substance misuse
- Complex family support needs and trauma recovery
- Support to build on and develop family and parenting skills
This service is available to any woman who is vulnerable to remand or breach of bail, diversion or structured deferred sentence. While not a specific requirement there is a particular focus on women with children (whether or not they currently have custody) or pregnant women. On referral we undertake a comprehensive and holistic assessment to understand the issues and needs of the woman both as an individual and (where appropriate) as a mother and part of a family. We work with each woman to develop an individual care plan and a bespoke programme to tackle the underlying issues that led to her offending and focus on positive outcomes for her and her children.
Accessing the Glasgow Women’s Supported Bail Service
We offer the service on an assertive outreach basis to women in their own tenancy, in supported accommodation or if they are staying with family or friends and in other community based venues as appropriate.
We work in partnership with the following organisations to identify women that may benefit from support: Police Scotland, Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, Court Social Work Teams, the Drug Court, POP team, Tomorrow’s Women Glasgow, Children and Families and Criminal Justice Social Work and Addiction, Mental Health and LD nurses working in the custody suites.
- Support is offered from 10am to 9pm
- A drop in service will be available one night per week
- An 24 hour out of hours service is available at the Glasgow Drug Crisis Centre
Glasgow Women’s Supported Bail Service
80 Norfolk Street
Tel: 0141 429 4283
Glasgow Women’s Supported Bail Service is a partnership between Turning Point Scotland and Aberlour Child Care Trust.