The service places homeless individuals directly into independent tenancies in Renfrewshire with no requirement to progress through transitional housing programmes. By sustaining a permanent tenancy in Renfrewshire, service users are in a better position to access community support, health care and social benefits.
Individuals are not required to fully abstain as this model of care focuses on reducing drug related harm. The service also works with tenants in a person centred way by offering a selection of support from which the individual can choose as they see fit.
The type of support offered will include advice on tenancy management, budgeting, personal safety, cooking and food shopping. Peer support workers who have had similar personal experiences will also work with residents to encourage trust, friendship and engagement with local recovery services.
The overall aim of Housing First is to provide a high quality service which:
- Treats individuals with respect, privacy and dignity
- Enables individuals to become active and valued members of their local community
- Supports people to develop towards their full potential
- Support people on their recovery journeys
- Promotes the realisation of individual dreams and aspirations